Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mandarin Pineapple Cake

I have made this cake twice in the last week and a half. I made it the first time for a night with my dear friends from Camp Geneva and the second time for my mother-in-law's birthday. Both times it was a complete hit. If possible, I like to make it the day before because then the flavors of the cake and topping blend together and give the cake a soft texture. This cake can be made in a 9x13 inch pan or two round cake pans, depending on how fancy you want to be. I personally usually go for the 9x13 inch pan as lately my layer cakes have been splitting. This cake is a perfect summer cake as it has a light taste and does not sit heavy. It transports well so you can bring it to a potluck, family get-together, or friend fun night. You can find pictures of this very cake at http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/pig-cake/ . Why does she call it Pig Cake? I don't know! I just know this is a fabulous cake!

  • 1 yellow cake mix (18.25 ounce box)
  • 1 stick margarine (not butter) softened
  • 1 can (14 ounce) mandarin oranges, drained, reserve 1/2 cup
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine the cake mix, margarine, reserved mandarin orange juice, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a mixer for about two minutes until everything is well combined. Add the oranges and mix until they are all small and broken apart. Pour the batter into your pan of choice (for me, the 9x13). Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Let it cool completely. I am getting so excited about this cake; I may have to make it a third time!

  • 1 package (4 serving box) vanilla instant pudding mix (you can use sugar-free if you want)
  • 1 can (20 ounce) crushed pineapple, reserve juice
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 ounces (1/2 of an 8 ounce tub) Cool Whip (I always use a little more! :-) )
Mix reserved pineapple juice with the vanilla pudding mix. Once again, I use a mixer. Once it's smooth, add powdered sugar and continue to beat. Then fold in the Cool Whip. Add the drained pineapple. Spread over your cake. Refridgerate overnight.

1 comment:

  1. This cake is AMAZING!!!! I can taste it in my mouth just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete