Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hamburger and Rice Casserole

This is my all-time favorite casserole! So comforting! This recipe came from my grandmother and my mom always made it often. I was experimental a couple months ago and froze this uncooked and then thawed it in the fridge and baked it in the oven. Surprise! It turned out really good, no changes in the consistency and it didn't separate when thawed. Even better, I froze it in a gallon sized freezer bag and laid it flat to freeze so I could stack other things on it and it didn't waste room in the freezer. Since it is just my husband and me, I was able to freeze this into four separate portions. I would say if you have a smaller family like we do, this is definitely a great option! Whenever I plan to use a frozen meal I take it out the day before and place it in the refrigerator. This can also be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator.
  • 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cans chicken noodle soup
  • 1/2 cup uncooked minute rice (I use brown minute rice and my mom uses white; they both work!)
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, buttered
  • Shredded cheese
Brown the hamburger and onion together. Drain and set aside. Combine soups, milk, and rice together. Add hamburger and onion mixture. Grease a casserole dish and bake at 350 for one hour. Add shredded cheese and buttered cracker crumbs and back for another half hour.

***When I freeze or make ahead this recipe I do not add the cracker crumbs or shredded cheese until the day I am serving it for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment