Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cake Bars

Do you have any recipes that while you are preparing them you find yourself flooded with memories? This is one for me. I still remember finding it in a Taste of Home or Quick Cooking Magazine when I was much younger. My mom always subscribed to these magazines as she loves to cook and bake more than I do! I remember all the times I made this recipe. I can taste these bars while I am mixing them. My mom was so great with letting me try new recipes and this is one that I have made time and time again. Sometimes she did not let me try new recipes because she has this keen fifth sense that a recipe will not turn out just by reading it! I still remember a couple years ago when I tried a new recipe for some type of oatmeal bars. They were a complete flop and did not turn out. She took one look at the recipe and said, "Oh, I saw that recipe. I knew it wouldn't turn out." Thanks for telling me in advance! :-) It was a good learning experience. I hope someday I can look at recipes and instantly know if they will turn out or not.  These bars are super quick to whip up - took me about 8 minutes!
  • 1 yellow cake mix (18 1/4oz.)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix the first five ingredients until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be very sticky! Grease a 9x13 inch pain. Pour dough evenly into pan. I have found that this spreads easiest with a knife. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

Drizzle Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 Tablespoon shortening
Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave. WATCH IT CAREFULLY!!! (Don't burn it like I did today!) Drizzle over bars and let set.

***You can alter this recipe! Try different flavor chocolate chips! Peanut butter, butterscotch, dark chocolate, etc. You can also try different flavor cake mixes. Have fun with this recipe!***

No comments:

Post a Comment