Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chili Meat Loaf

If you are new to reading this blog, you have yet to learn that I LOVE meatloaf. It has quickly become one of my favorite foods in the last year. One of the reasons of this is that my husband Dylan introduced me to the many joys of meatloaf sandwiches. I have come to love having meatloaf on Day 1 with mashed potatoes and green beans and then on Day 2 having meatloaf sandwiches comprised of bread, a little velveeta, and meatloaf grilled as you would grilled cheese. For this reason, I crave meatloaf, and you will too if you try it. I mixed this recipe up a bit by using chili sauce instead of ketchup and I really like the differences.
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
  • 1/3 cup chili sauce plus more for top of loaf.
  • 3/4 cup quick oatmeal
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients together and mix well. This is where things get a little interesting. If you are pressed for time and want your meatloaf to cook faster, you can choose a larger pan. For example, meat loaf pressed into a 9x13 inch pan will cook faster than if you put meat loaf in a loaf pan. I put mine in an 11x7 inch pan. Cover with additional chili sauce prior to baking. Bake at 350 until a thermometer reads 160 degrees in the middle, about 45-60 minutes, depending on size of pan.

1 comment: