Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bran Bread

Lately I have had an obsession with bread. I don't know if it's the winter months or what but I need bread. I was given my church's latest cookbook as a Christmas gift and have been trying many new recipes. One of which is this one. I like to try recipes from other generations other than my own. I enjoy trying foods that grandparents or parents grew up eating. It's kind of fun for me to read through old cookbooks and try recipes. That is what I really like about my church's cookbook is that they reprint the much loved recipes from older cookbooks, plus some newer ones. I made a minor change. The original recipe called for shortening and I avoid using shortening at all costs. I put in real butter. I also avoid margarine at all costs.

I know, I know. Bran. Really? Give it a try. I brought a loaf of this with me to work and got rave reviews. One person I work with admitted that she only tried it to be polite and ended up loving it. Another said that she would try and add some cinnamon, which is crazy, because I too thought I would add some cinnamon. My brother-in-law thanked me four times when I shared this bread with him. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

  • 2 cups raisins (optional)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 2 3/4 cups All-Bran
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
If you are planning to put raisins in your bread, boil raisins in the 3 cups water for five minutes and set aside to cool. Beat eggs, sugar, and butter. Add the flour, All-Bran, baking soda, and salt. Now add the water. If you are adding raisins, add the raisins and the water you boiled them in. Mix well. Split batter between two large, greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes depending of the size of your pans.

***Maybe add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon if you are looking for a comforting, wonderful smelling bread!***

No comments:

Post a Comment