Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Pancakes

I want to start by saying that I do not like sweet potatoes but I do love these pancakes! I normally would have never tried this recipe except for the fact that I had some sweet potatoes on hand. I started getting locally grown/organic produce through a program at work called Doorganics and what they deliver each week is what I eat for the week. It's a bit on the pricey end for what I would normally pay for produce but it is very high quality and I get a huge variety each week that I know I would not normally buy if I went to the grocery store by myself. Because of the price, I make sure to use every last bit of the produce I recieve. So last week, I got these two lovely sweet potatoes. Great. Normally I have a hard time even swallowing sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and fiber. I also got my issue of Taste of Home magazine last week and saw a recipe for sweet potatoe pancakes. I made a few changes to make them the way I like pancakes and I am really pleased with the results!

  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 of a sweet potato
  • Hot syrup or caramel sauce
Start by cooking your sweet potato. I microwaved mine on a plate for a couple of minutes and then mashed it with a fork (like you would bananas for banana bread). I then threw all the other ingredients and mashed sweet potatoes (minus syrup/caramel sauce) in a bowl and whisked together until smooth. Heat an electric skillet on medium heat or 300 degrees depending on what kind you have. Grease the skillet with cooking spray or cooking oil. I prefer cooking oil as it gives pancakes a crispier edge. Pour batter from bowl on skillet to make three inch circles. I would keep these on the smaller side and keep a few inches between pankcakes as these expanded quite a bit. Cook until the top start to bubble and then flip. Cook until each side is a nice pretty golden brown color. Serve with hot maple syrup or hot caramel sauce.

I preferred the maple syrup while Dylan liked it better with the caramel sauce - both ways were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment