Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

I am pretty excited about this recipe. This recipe was found on Tasty Kitchen. I made it quite awhile ago and I have been waiting to share it with you as I was doing a bit of an experiment. This makes a huge batch of enchilada filling. So much, that I was able to get 3 meals out of it with leftovers. Altogether, this made 16 enchiladas, and you could get more by not filling them so full.  I made this last fall and made it for two meals, one for a night with my friends and another for a night just with my husband. Overwhelmed by the amount of enchilada filling leftover, I froze the filling for a quick meal later. I was not sure how it would hold up in the freezer and I am telling you now that I am really impressed. This is an all around time saver recipe as it utilizes the slow cooker to cook the meat.
  • 2 1/2 pounds chicken breast (I used four large breasts)
  • 1 (16 oz.) bottle Italian Dressing (I used Kraft Free and it worked fine.)
  • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
Place all these ingredients in a slow cooker on high for 3-5 hours, shred and place back in slow cooker until ready to use.
  • 1 box Hamburger Helper Cheesy Enchilada Rice
Cook the rice according to package directions. Do not add the meat called for on the box or the sauce mixture. Just make the rice with the seasoning.
  • 1 can black beans
Heat in a large microwave bowl in the microwave.

Combine the chicken mixture, rice, and black beans in the large bowl and mix well until combined.
  • Tortillas (If you are making all at once, you will need at least 16. If you are planning to divide in half and freeze remaining filling, you only need 8. Just have on hand the number of enchiladas you plan to make)
  • Enchilada Sauce (I used one 10 oz. can per pan of 5-6 I made)
  • 3-4 cups shredded cheese
Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup filling, roll and place seam side down in a pan appropriate in size for the number you are making. Pour enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. If you have warm filling, bake at 350 for 20 minutes until bubbling around the edge of pan.

If you have leftover enchilada filling, place in a freezer safe Ziploc bag, label and date. Place in the freezer for a speedy dinner another night

To use: Thaw enchilada filling and heat in a microwave safe bowl. Fill each tortilla with filling, roll and place seam side down in pan. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. If the filling is even a little bit cold, allow to bake for 30 minutes at 350 instead of 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment